Five days ago, I finally left Portland. Yes, hard to believe, but the room to the left was my home for 8 whole months, at the good old Residence Inn. I leave with tens of thousands of bonus airline miles, over 100,000 hotel points, and a handful of free Marriott stays, but I don't particularly miss the redundant breakfast menu and rooms with sealed-shut windows. I will, however miss being treated like a VIP, and having a mysterious fairy enter my room once a week to clean my room.
That said, having moved to Copenhagen, I really enjoy living in a more urban city again. My neighborhood can be best described as Park Slope, Brooklyn-like. Quite a pleasant area to live, with lots of shops and restaurants (but pe
Having moved to a city that is almost 800 years-old, one wonders, "wow, what must it have been like to live in Copenhagen way back when?". Well, I sort of have a clue. My first five days here have been in a virtual communications blackout, having no internet connection (the management company forgot to leave it in the apartment for me), and no phone (I don't start until Thursday). To make a phone call, I would walk nearly 2 miles to the train station to find the only pay phone around. Every day I feared leaving my home because I knew that the internet people and the movers were supposed to come sometime...I just didn't know when. Well, the internet guy finally showed up today, so I am quite happy, and feeling like a part of society again.
First thoughts of Copenhagen? I can't pronounce anything, and it's damn expensive. Being as frugal as I am, if it were not for this unfamiliar currency I have to use, I think I would die. However, I am a decently-smart boy, and can do currency calculations in my head, and it doesn't take me long to figure out the price in dollars if I take the time to do so. Grocery shopping is a struggle - both with prices and trying to understand what I am buying - but I am learning how to make do with less. You could argue that I am adapting to European-style living, but in reality it's because 1. The grocery stores are tiny, and don't stock much 2. I don't understand what 2/3rds of the items are (no picture on packaging = no purchase) and 3. I refuse to pay $3 for a single avocado or $6 for a bag of chips.
I will leave my first po
I'm so glad you're a big boy finally! I agree, the shower situation is weird...we experienced that kind of set up in our RV during our trip to New Zealand (there wasn't a curtain to protect the plastic toilet though).
ReplyDeleteI wonder what the infant abduction numbers are like there. I can't imagine leaving Claire outside a store, even if she was leashed up securely to something. She would be a major disturbance to the peace.
I think you got the name of your city wrong. We call it Copenhagen in the U.S. and clearly we must be right.
ReplyDelete