Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Øbamakare

Today I had my first experience with a nationalized health care system. Concerned that I may have a broken foot after falling down some stairs last week, I got a little taste of what the new American system may be like, at least for those who are government-insured. Here's how I score it for the American politicians, given my experience:

Claim: a nationalized system a dis-incentive to doctors, as they are not motivated to earn more and more money by seeing more and more patients.
My experience: the doctor office is open from 9AM to 2PM. 5 hours a day! However, if I only had to work 5 hours a day, I would not be as concerned about making $200K a year instead of $100K.
Republicans +1 point.

Claim: a nationalized system would cause a flood of patients that overwhelm the system.
My experience: I was able to see the doctor the very same day - just like my experience with my GP in the US. Even though the doctor only worked 4 hours a day, it was no problem seeing him the very same day.
Democrats +1 point

Claim: quality of service will go down
My experience: the doctor treated me like he didn't really want me there, and was with me all of 5 minutes, at most....just like it is in the US!
Could be a push, but I'll say Democrats +1 point because technically service level did not go down.

Claim: we can't afford nationalized health care
My experience: if you charge 45% income tax, you can afford it.
Republicans +1 point (since nobody in the US wants higher taxes, even if it benefits them in the end)

Tie score it is. But overall experience, I found it to be just the same as going to the doctor in the US, with the exception that I didn't have to pay a cent (or, in this case, a single øre). Overall, I'm pleased. Tiebreaker goes to the Democrats. Oh, and apparently my foot is not broken. Good news!

2 comments:

  1. I think that if you really want to know how good the system is you should intentionally break your foot and see how they handle a real injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree. Don't sacrifice your health for the inquiry. More importantly, I'm glad your foot is not broken.

    ReplyDelete