Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March Football

Europe has officially been cured of the madness that comes in March. Nobody cares about the NCAA tournament, so I thought I'd get my fix of sports by heading down the street to watch the local soccer team in action. FC København happens to be by far the best team in the SuperLiga, but as I found out from watching their Champions League matches against Chelsea, they are pretty much amateurs compared to the teams in the elite leagues of Europe.

FCK (in white) kicking off against Brøndby IF. You don't see many Brøndby IF fans in the visitor's fan section because they were apparently all protesting and skipping the game. From what I could make out from the newspapers, somebody is requiring that they use fingerprints to purchase or use tickets, and they were not too keen on that. The rest of the stadium was packed with FCK fans.

I sat in the fan section, which was replete with crazy fans, flag waving, and a cheer leader. As you can see, the European version of cheerleaders are not as hot as the American version. I always thought it was really cool how during soccer matches the fans sing songs and such throughout the game. I found out at this game that those songs and chants can be quite stupid. Two of the common ones were "F...C...København...F...C...København" repeated over and over to some American tune I don't remember. The other, was "Super FCK, Super FCK, Super FCK"

Corner kick, in which FCK did not score.

Celebrating after FCK did score, just moments after the above corner kick. FCK ended up winning 3-1, including a goal 5 seconds before the end of extra time and the match. Not bad after going down 0-1 very early in the match and into half time.


No comments:

Post a Comment