Monday, May 30, 2011

Aalborg Carnival

Closing out a hectic month of travel, my last destination was the furthest north I've ever gone in Denmark: Aalborg. Dropping in for a day to participate in Carnival, which quite reminded me of Bay to Breakers in San Francisco, just without the runners and without the nudity. Floats, everybody in costume, everybody drinking, and public urination abound. The festivities were tempered a bit by poor weather, but at least we escaped the downpour that was expected.


This is the mother ship of our group. It was basically a bar on top of a truck.

My friend, Peden, getting smokes from a parrot

I won't identify these guys, but they are supposedly a couple of Vestas' best and brightest. The Danes think they know how to do everything the right way, but I have to say that the Dutch have the bathroom situation at large street parties down better - tons of outdoor urinals for the guys, porto-potties for the girls. In Aalborg, bushes, parking garages, alleyways, storefronts - everything is fair game, for both guys and girls.

Aalborg on a calmer, less booz-filled environment. The next morning, the streets had been cleaned up, though it often still smelled like pee. Thank goodness I don't live in Aalborg.

No comments:

Post a Comment