In my final days in Copenhagen, I did what every normal person would do when they move away from a city - do all the touristy things that they never bothered to do because they were too cool to do them before as residents of the city. This included my last cultural event, visiting the Carlsberg Brewery, taking a canal tour, and visiting Tivoli (the beloved historical amusement park).
Skt Hans Aften
Sankt Hans Aften, or Saint Hans Evening, occurs on the longest day of the year, which I believe is the summer solstice. O
Carlsberg Brewery
Prior to moving to Denmark, I had actually never heard of Carlsberg, or it's sister brand, Tuborg. Apparently, it's one of the biggest brands in the world, and it turns out to be quite tasty for a mass market beer. For about $10, you get a self-guided tour of a touristy museum-ish area, and two beers. Given that a Carlsberg will typically cost ~$7-$10 in a bar, it's not so bad of a deal.
Canal Tour of Copenhagen
This is one thing I wished I had done earlier. The canals were not so much of a big deal, but it was interesting to hear about the history behind many of the buildings around that I just took for granted.
Departing from Nyhavn, the "new harbor" that was new a long, long time ago. I wanted to wait until nice weather came before partaking in a canal tour, and as you can see this day was very nice.
Sites from the tour. Here, we are actually in an inlet, and heading over to the canals of Christianshavn and it's spiral-topped church.
Danish design
This shot was actually taken outside of the boat, but turned out much better. During the nice days, Copenhageners like to sit along the canal edge and just hang out.
This is one thing I wished I had done earlier. The canals were not so much of a big deal, but it was interesting to hear about the history behind many of the buildings around that I just took for granted.
Tivoli
Tivoli is an amusement park that dates back to the olden-days. If you ask a Dane, Tivoli is the most amazing place, an amusement park full of charm, beauty, and coziness. If you ask a foreigner, Tivoli is kind of a joke, an expensive waste of money. I found out the latter was quite true. For any Iowans reading this, think of Tivoli as a smaller, enclosed Adventureland located in the middle of a big city.

No comments:
Post a Comment