For those that remember Raven Simone, the oh-so-cute Olivia from the Cosby Show, she grew up and had a kids' TV show titled, "That's So Raven". I have no idea what that show was about, but the name has stuck with me.
For this post, I thought I would spend a little time discussing what we Americans typically think about when we think of Sweden. For those of you who thought "hot blondes" immediately, you will have to wait. We're going to kick off this post with something a bit less exciting.

Ikea: Sweden is the center of the cheap furniture universe, and Malmö is the home of the world-wide flagship store. It is right next to my office, and I make many a trip here. It's like any other Ikea, but perhaps maybe slightly bigger, and they test products here before they decide on releasing it to the world-wide market.

H&M: Sweden is also the center of the cheap clothing universe. I sense a theme. H&M's are like Gap and Starbucks around here - there are a ton of them around, with a store never too far away around the corner.

Swedish fish: In Denmark, danish pastries are called "sweetbreads from Vienna". However, in Sweden, Swedish fish are apparently still called Swedish fish. On a related note, I am currently planning a trip to Vienna, and will definitely find out what they call their breakfast pastries.

Swedish pancakes: Pancakes are one of my favorite foods (hence, my earlier blog about Paola taking me out for pancakes in Copenhagen), and I LOVE Swedish pancakes. Thinner, like a crepe, and a bit spongy as opposed to fluffy. My first attempt making them at home from this box kit failed miserably, so I may have to just have to buy them from restaurants.

Swedish Meatballs: Yes, meatballs are common. But not as common as Ikea would make it seem. You can buy them at the grocery store in 1 kilogram packages, for only about $5. Very tasty.

Volvos: They are everywhere. Just like police forces in the US like to use Ford vehicles, Swedish police like to use Volvos. They are not a Swedish company anymore (used to be owned by Ford, and now some Chinese company), but definitely Swedish origins. And it seems like everyone drives a Volvo station wagon just like you see here. Unlike Denmark, Sweden doesn't have a huge car tax, so cars are big and plentiful. Saab, the other car company of Swedish origins, is not around so much anymore, and Swedes tend to think of the successful aerospace/jet engine Saab company, and have written off the car company just like the rest of the world.

Björn Borg: Probably the most famous Swedish athlete ever. One of John MacEnroe's fiercest and most polar opposite rivals. In fact, Johnny Mac is on the poster with Björn, but obscured. These days, Björn Borg sells colorful underwear. Unlike Michael Jordan, who simply pushes Hanes, Björn Borg actually has his own underwear brand. It's quite popular, and I'll have to consider buying myself some as a souvenir when I leave Sweden, though I cannot imagine myself ever wearing underwear as loud as you see here.

Blondes: Yes, there are blondes around. But unlike popular belief, this country is not full of blondes everywhere you turn. In fact, there are quite many brunettes, and it took me quite some time to find some blonde subjects to snap a picture of. These girls' fashion style is pretty typical of many a Swedish lady. Kind of too 80's for my taste, but who am I to complain.
Unfortunately, I regrettably have to report that the Swedish Bikini Team has yet to be found. It appears as if the team is a made-up fantasy of
early 90's beer commercials. Interesting factoid related to bikinis: in Malmö, women have the right to swim at public pools topless. It is an equality thing (very important in Sweden), since men get to swim topless. According to Wikipedia, the city councilman justified the rule by claiming, after all, 'some men have larger breasts than women'. And no, I have not gone to a pool yet - I actually hate swimming!
No comments:
Post a Comment