Sunday, October 9, 2011

Learning the Basics

Recently I spent a week in Silkeborg, Denmark, for a week of training camp for all those in my program class. I had to deal with a week's worth of career planning sessions covering subjects that I already think about constantly, already have learned, and already have acted upon. However, there was still a huge highlight to the week - the opportunity to visit some of Vestas' production facilities on the west coast of Denmark. Despite having worked for this company for ~1 1/2 years now, I still hadn't seen a turbine, understood the magnitude of the turbines' size, or really understood how they were made. Now, I know!

Silkeborg is centered around a series of lakes. A beautiful place to be; we were extremely fortunate that the temperamental Danish weather was cooperative.

One of the production facilities. Closest I've been to Vestas turbines, ever!

V112 blades in the yard. This turbine model has a 112 meter rotational diameter

V112 nacelles in the yard. They are right about to be shipped off to Australia for installation on a wind farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment